Contact a representative of the shipping company as soon as you find out that your voyage has been cancelled or that the service is delayed.
1) If the matter is not resolved, you can file a written complaint with the shipping company. Most European shipping companies are not able to process complaints written in Finnish or Swedish, so you should write to them in English.
2) The deadline for filing complaints is two months from the date of the delay/cancellation. Shipping companies have an obligation to respond to all complaints within two months of receipt.
3) Accompany your complaint with copies of your tickets and any receipts for food and other expenses that you may have incurred. Never send the originals.
4) Always keep a copy of your complaint. If you use an online complaint form, also save a copy for yourself.
5) If the shipping company does not respond to your complaint or if you are dissatisfied with the answer, you can contact the European Consumer Centre. With regard to Finnish shipping companies, help and advice is available from consumer advisory services.