Are you an exchange student in Berlin or a trainee in Brussels? If you want to avoid hefty telephone bills and do not want a long fixed-term contract, a prepaid telephone might be the way to go.
A few questions to ask before you buy a prepaid telephone abroad:
1. If you are buying a bundle that includes a handset and a SIM card, will you be able to use a different SIM card in the handset in the future?
2. How long will the SIM card be valid for and what is the minimum top-up amount?
3. Will you also be able to use your minutes abroad?
Other points to remember
- You will usually not be refunded for any unused minutes.
- It is not usually possible to transfer unused minutes to a different SIM card.
- Calls usually cost more from a prepaid telephone than from a contract telephone.
- Prepaid telephones also often have more limited functionalities than contract telephones.