Contact a representative of the airline responsible for the flight as soon as you find out that your travel class has been changed.
1. If the matter is not resolved, you can file a written complaint with the airline. Remember to include the flight details in your complaint. Specify the amount of compensation that you are claiming. If you want, you can use the complaint form below.
Form for filing a complaint with an airline and/or a national supervisory authority
Complaint form in English
2. Accompany your complaint with copies of your tickets and any receipts for food and other expenses that you may have incurred. Never send the originals.
3. In the case of foreign airlines, find out which language you need to use to contact customer service. Most European airlines are not able to process complaints written in Finnish or Swedish, so you should write to them in English.
4. Always keep a copy of your complaint. If you use an online complaint form, also save a copy for yourself.
5. Reserve approximately six weeks for the airline to get back to you.
6. If you have not received a response within six weeks or if you are dissatisfied with the answer, you can contact the European Consumer Centre. With regard to Finnish airlines, help and advice is available from consumer advisory services.
7. If the airline rejects your claim for compensation, you can refer the case to the supervisory authority of the country in which your travel class was changed according to Regulation 261/2004.If the flight originated from outside the EU and the airline responsible for the flight is based in an EU Member State, the competent authority is the supervisory authority of the country of arrival. Please note, however, that most supervisory authorities only have jurisdiction to ask airlines to change their compensation policies if they have not complied with the Regulation and to impose fines if necessary. Some supervisory authorities also address consumers’ claims. This is the case not only in Finland but also in Latvia, Spain and Sweden. If you want to refer your case to a supervisory authority, you can download a complaint form here and find the contact details of supervisory authorities here.