4 February 2016
ECC Finland Newsletter 1/2016, published today, covers topics such as:
- Package travel checklist. As the temperature outside drops well below zero, people are eagerly making holiday plans for the summer. Last year we received 136 complaints about package holidays; more than double the number in 2014. We have put together some useful tips for those planning to buy a package holiday from a travel agency based in another EU country. Please note that, even if the website is in Finnish, the agency may be located outside Finland.
- Tips for skiing trips. Many people are going on a skiing trip also abroad. If you are travelling by air, it is worth remembering a few issues. Pay close attention when booking your flights. Aircrafts often have a quota for skis, so make sure – in good time – that there is room for yours. Skis are often transported free of charge, but they must be registered before boarding the flight.
- Consumer disputes over online shopping can soon be resolved online anywhere in Europe. The European Commission will open an online dispute resolution (ODR) platform for consumers and businesses on 15th of February 2016. European consumers will soon have the possibility to handle contractual disputes related to purchases online whenever it suits them best. The service will be offered in all official languages of the EU.
- ECC-Net Success Story. A Finnish consumer received a package from Latvia. The package contained an electric cigarette product, which the consumer denied having ordered. The consumer, who also received an invoice for 76 euro, immediately contacted the sender of the invoice and explained he had not ordered the product but would return it if the seller offered return free of charge. How was the case resolved?
- Long-term agreements hidden in online dating services. In 2015, we received more than 60 complaints about foreign, online dating services with a website in Finnish. Problems encountered by consumers related to issues such as long-term agreements that came as a surprise, after being offered the service for a trial period at a very low price or even free of charge.
- ECC-Net reports on air passenger rights and timeshare.
- Statistics of complaints made to ECC Finland in 2015: topics and amounts plus overall trend.
You can find our previous newsletter in the Archive.