The European Consumer Centre received 36 complaints in August concerning the Latvian company Aliaz Cooperation SIA's weight loss product, Fatkiller. The majority of consumers who complained had never ordered the product. Some of them say they visited the company's website, for instance via an advertisement in Facebook, and gave their name and address, but deny having clicked the order button. Regardless of this, the seller sent them a parcel containing the product and an invoice.
“You do not need to pay for or return products that you have not ordered. To be on the safe side, however, we recommend that you contact the seller to clarify the matter,” says lawyer Saija Kivimäki of the European Consumer Centre Finland.
This is how to act if you did not order the product:
- Send an e-mail message to the seller, informing them of having received the product by post (address of the company: email@example.com)
- Let them know that you never placed an order and ask the seller what they want you to do with the parcel.
- For instance, you may write as follows:I have received a product and invoice from you on (DATE). As I never ordered the product, I will not pay the invoice. I will not pay any postage fees incurred from returning your product, which was sent to me by mistake. I will retain the product for 3 weeks. If I have not heard from you by the end of the 3-week period, I will dispose of the product. How do you intend to proceed regarding the product sent to me?
- Do not send the parcel back before you have received instructions from the seller on how to return it.
- The company cannot require you to pay for the return of a product you never ordered.
- If you return the product, remember to keep the receipt relating to its return.
Please note that you may send the complaint in Finnish, but the company's customer service will only reply in English. If these instructions do not help in resolving the matter or you need assistance in understanding the company's reply, please contact us.